Losing weight is such a difficult task and sweating it out in the gym can make it even more daunting. If you wish to lose weight, then you need to do a lot to achieve good results. The task seems tedious to some people as it takes a lot of determination and dedication.
Weight reduction takes a lot of time as well when you take the normal route. However, if you wish to lose weight in the shortest possible time then we have the best possible diet plan that will help you in losing weight in 7 days flat! Known as the GM diet, this regime will help you in losing at least 5-8 kgs.
This diet plan requires you to eat one category of foods on a few days and a combination of foods on the others. The best part of this diet is that it helps in the reduction and maintenance of a slimmer body. This is one of the most well- known and revolutionary diets that has gained a lot of recognition recently.
Let’s dive in deeper to know more about this diet and if it really works in reducing as much weight as it claims.
Table of Contents
General Motors Diet Plan Claims
This 7-day diet plan was developed by General Motors for the health of their employees. The main goal of this diet is to help people lose weight in a short period of time. This diet plan is mostly vegetarian but non-vegetarians can make a few variations if they cannot live without meat. By following this diet, you can: –
- Lose anywhere between 3- 8 Kgs in 7 Days Flat
- You will be eating healthy and light which will flush out toxins substantially
- Reduce tummy fat in targeted areas such as stomach and waistline
If this seems practically impossible, then you can give it a shot to achieve desired results. You just need to follow it closely and you will be able to see the weight loss for yourself. Consult your doctor if you have any medical conditions.
How Does GM diet plan Work?
Many people have a doubt about how effective this plan is since all you require are 7 days! To know how far this plan can help, you need to understand how it works.
The GM diet requires you to eat an amalgamation of healthy proteins, fibers, vitamins, and very little carbohydrates. This will help you substantially in flushing out toxins from your body and thereby helps in reducing weight.
People who follow the GM diet need to consume 2 liters of water every day which helps in aiding in faster digestion. Consuming water stimulates bowel movement and urination which removes toxins thereby leading to weight loss.
Has the GM Diet Worked in the Past?
Eventually, everything boils down to one simple question which is if the diet has worked for people who have tried it. People wanting to try this diet have been found looking for more information on how effective it is. According to a survey, when compared to other diet plans, the General Motors diet has been 85% effective in making people lose at least 4 kilos in one week.
On the other hand, many other diets have been successful in making dieters lose only 1-2 kilos. The GM diet involves the intake of extremely healthy food including raw fruits, boiled vegetables and minimal intake of meat which is responsible for its effectiveness.
GM Diet Plan Sample Menu for 7 Days For Weight Loss
Over the 7-day span, there is a well-defined plan that you need to follow. We have mentioned all the foods you need to eat along with a sample meal chart below.
Along with these foods, you must consume at least 8-12 glasses of water. You can also drink cabbage soup whenever you feel hungry. However, you can only consume a maximum of 2-3 bowls.
GM Diet Day 1: All Fruits Day
On the first day, you can only consume fruits throughout the day. Any fruit except for banana can be consumed on this day. However, eating a good quantity of melon is the best. It helps in accelerating your weight loss goal.
GM Diet Day 2: All Vegetables
On day 2, you can only consume vegetables either cooked or raw. You can eat as much as you wish to, but potatoes can only be eaten in breakfast since they are the only carbohydrates of the menu. Fiber and vitamins in vegetables have fewer calories and will keep you full for longer.
GM Diet Day 3: Fruits and Vegetables Day
The third-day menu is a combination of the first and second day. You can eat fruits and vegetables, but you will have to skip potatoes and bananas.
Your source of carbs this day is fruits therefore potatoes can be omitted from the diet plan. This will initiate the burning of fat from the body which will help you in losing weight.
GM Diet Day 4 Menu: Milk and Banana Day
On the 4th day, you need to eat only milk and bananas. This day can be slightly restricting as you can eat only 6 large bananas or 8 small and 3 glasses of milk throughout the day. It is always better to drink skim milk if possible.
Make sure that you do not consume anything else as a snack as this is one common mistake made by many. On this day, you might feel a tad bit faint as you will not be consuming any carbohydrates, but it is important that you understand that detoxification is the reason for the same.
GM Diet Day 5 : (Veg & Non-Veg) and Tomatoes
On this day, you can consume vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food. The latter can consume chicken or fish and the former can consume paneer or tofu. You must also eat 6 whole tomatoes throughout the day. Brown rice can also be consumed on this day.
Tomatoes provide fiber and the meat and paneer provide protein. On this day, you should consume up to 12 glasses per day to flush out the extra protein consumed. Protein takes more energy to digest which ensures that more fat is burned.
GM Diet Day 6 : (Veg & Non-Veg) Vegetables and Brown Rice (No Tomato)
The 6th-day menu is almost as same as the previous day menu. The only difference is that there are no tomatoes included in today’s diet.
You can consume brown rice, meat, vegetarian protein sources and unlimited quantities of vegetables excluding potatoes. You will feel a lot lighter by this day and will notice a substantial difference in body weight.
GM Diet Day 7: Brown Rice, Vegetables and Fruit Juice
Day 7 or the last day of the GM diet is a no meat plan where you can consume brown rice, juices, and vegetables. You can also prepare a pilaf or pulao with brown rice, sprouts, and vegetables.
When you have followed the diet for seven days, you will notice that you have lost at least 5 kgs. You will feel much lighter than yesterday and you will also notice a subtle difference in your skin which will have a subtle glow.
Also, you can follow:
This diet is the most effective when you restrict the quantity that you eat after the first three days of the diet.
General Motors diet chart for All 7 Days
We have designed a special sample plan for all seven days. You can follow this plan, or you can find alternatives based on this plan.
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4||Day 5||Day 6||Day 7|
|Breakfast 8 am -9 am||½ Cup Melon, Papaya or Watermelon||1 Boiled Potato||1 Apple and Green Tea||2 Bananas +1 Glass of Milk||1 Bowl of Red Kidney Beans and Corn + 1 cup of cherry tomatoes||1 Cup mixed bowl vegetable||1 Apple|
|Middle Meal 11-12 pm||¼ Watermelon||Vegetable Soup||1 bowl of Watermelon||1 Banana and Herbal Tea||1 Cup of Curd or Tofu||Kidney beans and corn salad||Herbal Tea|
|Lunch 1:30-2 pm||Mixed Fruit Salad||Boiled Mixed Vegetables||Roasted vegetables and one orange||1 Bowl Vegetable Soup||Grilled Paneer or Grilled Chicken and Brown Rice||Vegetable soup and brown rice||1cup brown rice and sautéed vegetables 1 bowl of melon or cantaloupe|
|Post Lunch Snack 4-5 pm||1 Orange||Vegetable Salad||1 Pomegranate||1 Pomegranate||1 Apple and kiwi||One bowl watermelon|
|Evening Snack 6.30- 7 pm||1 Pear||Lemon water (no sugar)||Small bowl of salad||Banana Milk Sha With Honey||Sprouts Salad and soup||Boiled lentils salad||Sautéed Mushrooms|
|Dinner 8-9 PM||½ Grapefruit or Kiwi, 1 Guava and ½ Cup Mixed Berries||Grilled vegetables and sprouts||Broccoli and Asparagus Salad+ Sautéed Bakchoy and 1 Kiwi||2 Bananas and 1 Glass Milk||1 Bowl Palak Paneer and Mixed veg Salad||Boiled vegetables||Aloo Gobhi or mixed vegetables and half cup brown rice|
|Throughout Day||8-10 Glasses of Water||8-10 Glasses of Water||8-10 Glasses of Water||8-10 Glasses of Water||8-10 Glasses of Water||8-10 Glasses of Water||8-10 Glasses of Water|
Additional Foods Permitted
If you are allergic to the above-mentioned foods, there are a few alternatives you can follow. These foods must have the same nutrients and calories. For instance, on the bananas and milk day, you can consume bananas and figs.
If you are a vegetarian, you can skip the meat and consume cottage cheese instead of it. Apart from the diet mentioned, you can consume coffee without milk and sugar, green tea, cabbage soup, and sprouts.
Foods to be avoided
The GM diet is a difficult one to follow and the most common mistake made is consuming foods that are not mentioned in the diet. There is a list of foods that need to be avoided for the whole week. These are as follows: –
- Sugar and Salt – Refined sugar is restricted in any form. You should opt for natural sweeteners such as honey, coconut sugar or stevia. Instead of normal table salt, use unprocessed sea salt or rock salt.
- If you do not wish to consume milk, it can be avoided, and you can get yogurt and buttermilk
- Steer clear from bread, chapattis or any other form of wheat
- Do not touch any packages or processed foods. Foods that are a part of the diet like fruit juices and soups are available in packaged form. It is, therefore, better that you do not consume any such foods. Freshly extracted juices and home-cooked soups are required.
- Stay away from unhealthy fat like refined oils and shortening. Consume ghee, coconut oil, and natural butters.
- Dried fruits are not included in the list of the fruits. They are high in fat and calories.
- If you are allergic to Bananas, you can consume Apricots, dates, nectarines, and figs.
- Substitute to Apple-Orange and Sweet lime
- If you cannot consume Cantaloupe, consume Cucumber
- Instead of watermelons, eat honeydew melon
- Oranges can be exchanged by peaches and Grapefruit.
- Guavas can be substituted by Green Apple.
Note: For breakfast, eat apples and melons. These are fat cutters and can make you lose 3 pounds.
Apart from consuming the above-mentioned foods, you will also have to do a few light exercises to trigger mobilization and better fat loss. You should not perform strenuous exercises as you will be consuming very light foods.
You can do exercises in the morning or evening which will enhance the results that the one-week GM diet will give you. To maintain the weight loss that this diet will give you, at least ten minutes of exercise will give you better metabolism.
Low-intensity workouts like Yoga and other exercises can be performed. The list of these activities are as follows: –
- Arm circles- 2 sets of 10 reps in an anticlockwise and clockwise motion
- Circling of wrists- 2 sets of 10 reps in an anticlockwise and clockwise motion
- Rotation of neck- 10 reps in an anticlockwise and clockwise motion
- Leg circling and Ankle rotation for 10 times
- On the spot jogging
- Yogasanas like Anulom vilom, Surya Namaskar, Shavasana, Bhujangasan and Kapalbhati.
Other Tips, Tricks, and Shortcuts
- Add 3 spoons of lemon juice and 2 spoons of honey to warm water and consume it. Drink this in the morning for all 7 days.
- Consume whole fruits. Avoid fruit juices which can only be consumed on day 7.
- Do not drink water when you consume fruits. Wait for half an hour before doing so.
- Try to drink 15 glasses of water for optimum results.
- Try to cut down on tea, alcohol, and coffee when you are on GM diet
- If you cannot perform the above-mentioned exercises, make sure that you take a walk for 45 minutes at least.
- If you are eating a salad, make sure that you add fresh herbs, wine, vinegar, lemon and garlic to it. Do not use any store-bought dressings.
- Vegetables like peas, cabbage, corn, and asparagus are the best for losing weight.
- Avoid beans like black beans and white beans as they contain a high calorific value.
Like all the other diets, GM diet too has its plusses and minuses which are as follows:
Pros and Cons of GM diet :
Pros of GM Diet
- GM Diet is one of the most effective ways of losing weight which has a success rate of 80% and above.
- Weight loss of at least 5-8 kgs is promised by the completion of the 7day period if you follow it completely
- This diet removes all the toxins from the body and provides you with healthy skin.
- The water, fruits, and vegetables you consume will help in improving your metabolism in the long run.
- You can lose weight without any exercise. However, these exercises mentioned above will help you in losing more weight.
- You can lose weight in areas such as the stomach, waist, and thighs by following the GM Diet.
Cons of GM Diet Plan:
- During the first three days, you will not be consuming any protein, you might experience pain in muscles.
- You can experience hunger pangs in the first two days which might lead to a headache.
- This diet is low in carbohydrates which causes a loss of energy.
- In some cases, people have gained weight instead of losing
The GM diet is an overall healthy diet, but it does deprive you of many nutrients. After you lose weight, you can experience eating disorders, lethargy, loss of energy and tiredness. To come back to your normal self as well as maintain the weight you have lost, you need to come back to a normal diet which does not deprive you of carbs.
You can consume healthy carbohydrates to maintain the weight apart from consuming other fruits, vegetables, and proteins. Try to control your portions and include all kinds of foods in your diet to keep it balanced and to maintain the weight you have lost. Avoid gorging on high calorie and fat-laden food right after the diet which can lead to a sudden weight gain as well.
Overall, the GM diet does help in losing weight, but you need to look at the pros and cons before you decide whether you wish to follow it or not!