India is a country where people from different religions come together and stay in peace. India is a land blessed by God, with many avatars of Lord Vishnu reincarnating time and again to protect the people of India from the wrath of evil. These Gods visited many places during their lifetime, marking each place with a spiritual ambiance, their presence still lingers at those places. As such, India is the fully endowed with sacred places spread throughout the country. The places these Gods visited now attract millions of devotees yearly, offering their prayers to the Gods. People believe that going to these places will help them meet god, something called ‘Shraddha’. Here is a list of the most sacred places in India.
- The Chota Char Dham – This is a very sacred pilgrimage circuit of Hindus. It is located in the Indian Himalayas, in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. Undertaking this pilgrimage, the pilgrim will visit Gangotri (seat of Goddess Ganga), Yamunotri (seat of Goddess Yamuna), Badrinath (Lord Vishnu as Badrinarayan) and Kedarnath (for Lord Shiva). It is a long trek but it is certainly rewarding. Badrinath is also an important point in the Char Dham yatra.
- Vaishno Devi – The temple of Maa Vaishno is located in Trikuta hills in Katra. It is present at a height and the pilgrims have to trek to reach the temple. Upon entering the temple, the pilgrim no longer feels tired after the long and arduous trek. The place is really beautiful.
- Haridwar – It is among the seven most sacred places in India. It attracts devotees yearly and from all over the world. It is said that washing yourself in the Ganges is an act of ablution, you wash away your sins. It is also said that it was blessed by Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva.
- Dwarka – Dwarka is located in Gujarat. It a part of the Sapta Puri and the Char Dham also. This is the city where Lord Krishna lived in after he escaped Mathura. The entire city carries the fragrance of divinity and is a must go place if you want to find peace.
- Amarnath Cave – This sacred site is located in Jammu and Kashmir, it is a site for all the devotees of Lord Shiva. Inside the cave is an ice structure which resembles the Shivalinga. One can also see the shrines of Maa Parvati and Lord Ganesha. The trek is a beautiful one and the shrines are exhilarating. It is opened for a only a few months in the year.
- Kanchipuram – Located on the Vegavati river, it is the place where Lord Brahma prayed to Lord Vishnu. It is also a part of the Sapta Puri (seven sacred cities) and is called as the Golden City of temples.
- Srirangam – The main deity is Lord Vishnu on Sesa Naga. The temple is one of the foremost shrines of Lord Vishnu which self-manifested. It is also one of the important Vishnu temples.
India is marked with sacred places all over it. There are many more holy places and one must visit it to attain peace and be free from the cycle of reincarnation.
[…] a fact that Hindus and Muslims have been living together harmoniously for ages and whenever India faces any problem […]
What about Tirupathi?
[…] People believe that going to these places will help them meet god, something called ‘Shraddha’. Here is a list of the most sacred places in India. […]