7 major chakras are present in our body. These chakras or power “wheels” or “circular” energies are places in our body through which energy flows.
These 7 chakras are considered to be of most importance because if there is any blockage in the flow of energy then it can lead to illness. More over these blockages prevent us from seeing the truth in life and divert us from our real purpose.
In reality there are over 88,000 chakras in our body although only these 7 chakras are considered of major importance.
Let us see what these chakras and what are their functions.
1. The Root Chakra
The root chakra is red in colour and is located at the base of the spine, between the public arch and the tailbone, which is at the perineum.
Its function is survival. It is our root chakra and is closest to the earth.
Blockage of this chakra leads to paranoia, fear, procrastination and defensive behaviour.
2. The Sacral Chakra
This second chakra is of orange colour. It is located between the base of our spinal cord and navel.
This navel chakra is concerned with our emotions and represents our desires, pleasures, creativity, procreation and sexuality.
Blockage of this chakra causes emotional problems, sexual guilt and compulsive or obsessive disorders.
3. The Solar Chakra
The solar plexus chakra is located between the navel and the solar plexus and is yellow in colour.
The solar chakra is the core of our identity and personality. It stores our potential to achieve, our ambition and our sensitivity.
Blockage of this chakra leads to frustration and victimisation. It makes us feel helpless and lost.
4. The Heart Chakra
The anahata or heart chakra is green is colour and is located right within our hearts. It depicts our love and compassion. Blockage of this chakra could be seen through lack of compassion or could cause heart and lung problems or even problems with the immune system
5. The Throat chakra
This chakra is located within our throat and is blue in colour.
It is also known as chakra of communication as this chakra helps us to communicate and helps us to be expressive and creative.
The blockage of this chakra can lead to communication problems or even dishonesty.
6. Third Eye Chakra
This chakra is also known as Ajna. It is of indigo colour and is located at the centre of our forehead above the eyes.
This chakra helps us find the truth, increases our wisdom and intuition. It makes us question the spiritual nature of our life.
Blockage of this chakra may cause lack of foresight and mental rigidity.
7. The Crown Chakra
This violet colour chakra is located at the top of our head. It is concerned with understanding and acceptance. It helps us connect to God and fulfill our destiny. Blockage of this chakra causes psychological problems.
Usually more than one chakra is blocked for many people (especially the third eye chakra) but it can be unblocked through the process of chakra healing.
- This can be done by walking barefoot on the grass or eating roots to unblock the root chakra.
- By doing yoga and grooming yourself well, or doing something you like and being expressive and honest will help you unblock the sacral chakra.
- Taking up a sport or activity and noting your progress in it will help you unblock the solar plexus chakra.
- Healing the heart chakra can take time especially when you are having problems in your relationships. But being optimistic and grateful for what you have will help you heal this chakra
- Being honest to yourself and others will unblock your throat chakra. Clear communication will make energy flow freely.
- Meditation helps to heal the third eye chakra. This meditation is in the form of visualisation which can be inward visualisation or outward visualisation. Outward visualisation can be by noticing very simple and minute things and inward visualisation can be by visualising a scenery or anything that is peaceful to you.
- Silent peaceful meditation will help you heal the crown chakra. This should be done in a quiet place where there is no disturbance.
Eating foods with the same colour as the chakra colours helps in healing of the chakra.
Basically doing more physical activities for the lower chakras and more spiritual or meditating activities for the upper chakras can help you heal these 7 chakras.
Living a balanced lifestyle will help you unblock all the 7 chakras. This will also clear your aura give you foresight, increase your concentration, make you more sensitive and help you to live a purposeful life.