With the help of TV advertisements on food products, the term micronutrients are now quite familiar to all of us. But what the micronutrients are actually? Why are the micronutrients advertised so prominently? Let’s find out the reasons together.
WHAT ARE MICRONUTRIENTS?
Micronutrients are unlike the three main macronutrients – carbohydrates, protein and fat. The micronutrients are those vitamins and minerals which are required in very small amounts in our body but are essential for our health, growth, and well-being. They are also termed as trace Elements. Micronutrient insufficiency in the body can cause severe health tribulations. These nutrients include some vital nutritional minerals such as iron, manganese, zinc, iodine, and folic acid, etc. They are indispensable for the healthy running of the whole body system, starting from bone growth to brain function. These are naturally present in a range of animal-based and plant-based foods. At present, they can be produced in the labs. A properly mixed diet usually provides all sorts of these essential vitamins and minerals for human healthiness. In many situations, nevertheless, proper foods are not accessible and thus it causes a major risk of the healthy development of mass all around the world.
IMPORTANT TO PAY ATTENTION: 5 MOST VITAL REASONS
When it is about micronutrients, one will neglect it just because it is “micro”. But an improper or insufficient intake of these macronutrients can show a significant difference between a fit, dynamic life, and a life weighed down with an illness.
- Billions of people all over the world are suffering from malnutrition today, and over two billion are direct sufferer due to lack of micronutrients. The leading causes done by micronutrient deficiency include mental retardation, avertable loss of sight, and death during pregnancy or labor. These are conscientious for neural tube defects, which are the second most common example of birth shortcomings throughout the world.
- They also play a crucial role in dropping the most frequent form of birth defects- the cardiac shortcomings. A malnourished person again has a high chance, of about 30% to50%, of dying measles or diarrhea whereas it is notably lesser with appropriate micronutrient shape.
- Insufficiency of these important micronutrients also has a reflective contact on human resistance power and immune system. Weakened immune systems cause children to catch illness easily. These vital mineral and vitamin deficiency results in reduced mental competence and increased malingering.
- Further than the huge health repercussions, micronutrient undernourishment has another significant role in the economic field. As per the Micronutrient Initiative and the World Bank that the countries who are most affected by malnutrition may drop as much as 2% to 3 % of their GDP (Gross Domestic Product) every year.
- But there s another reason to bother for the micronutrients in the body. That is – excess micronutrients may cause hazards in the normal body system. So be careful again.
BIOCHEMICAL UTILITIES OF MICRONUTRIENTS
In the above segment, I talked about the effect of micronutrients on global population. How people are suffering or how in case people would face problems in near future; but I would like to share some facts that will help the readers to relate their own health and micronutrients as well.
- Co-factors: These micronutrients are often involved in transforming enzyme actions or are a fundamental ingredient of enzyme prosthetic grouping. For instance, zinc is a cofactor for more than 100 enzymes, whereas selenium, another trace element is compulsory in the variety of selenocysteine contained by the enzyme glutathione peroxides.
- 8 Almost all the vitamins or metabolites of those vitamins are essential to participating actively within complex, multifaceted biochemical reactions within our body. For instance, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and vitamin B3 (niacin) play a key role in electron transport chain, whereas vitamin B9 or folic acid takes part in methyl group transfer. These biochemical functions are crucial to go-between metabolism and make certain deployment of the chief or macronutrients to make available energy, proteins, and nucleic acids.
- Antioxidants: These micronutrients or trace elements have antioxidant properties which also help in better metabolism and keeps body intoxicated.
- Genetic Direct: Zinc plays a vital role in binding DNA and controlling transcription of receptors for steroid hormones and supplementary factors.
When you finally come to know so many facts about why we should pay a good attention to the vital micronutrients maintenance in our body, I actually can say when your micros are in control and up to the mark; it is trouble-free to fit your macros (macronutrients) addicted to the most valuable proportion for your body.
KNOW YOUR VITAL MICRONUTRIENTS
I think it will be easier to understand what the vital micronutrients are and what happens in insufficiency of those.
Vitamin A: Night blindness is the most common outcome of vitamin A deficiency; other than that xerophthalmia, increased risk pregnant women and newborn death
Vitamin B6: Insufficient vitamin B6 in body may cause Megaloblastic anemia, different birth defects, neurological disorders, cardiac illness, cardiac arrest, weakened cognitive task, lowered mental health, dermatitis, paroxysm, and prominent plasma homocysteine
Vitamin B12: Megaloblastic anemia is the most common outcome of vitamin B12 deficiency
Vitamin B1: Insufficient presence of vitamin B1 causes Beriberi, Wernicke and Korsakov syndromes
Vitamin C: The most common ill effect of deficiency of vitamin C is the Scurvy
Vitamin D: Insufficient vitamin D in body may cause rickets, osteoporosis, osteomalacia, colorectal cancer
Iodine: Iodine deficiency leads to diseases like Goiter, hypothyroidism, threat of stillbirth, birth defects, infant mortality, and cognitive injury
Iron: Iron deficiency leads to anemia, reduced learning, and work capacity, increased mother, and newborn mortality, low birth weight
Zinc: Poor pregnancy outcome, impaired growth, genetic disarray, diminished immunity to transmittable diseases may be caused due to lowered Zinc
Calcium: Insufficient calcium may cause declined bone mineralization, rickets, and osteoporosis
Selenium: Cardiomyopathy, amplified risk of cancer and cardiovascular attack may be caused due to lowered Selenium
Fluoride: Fluoride deficiency leads to dental decay, distress bone health
In the end, I must say to you all – eat a balanced and well-planned diet including ample of whole grains, green leafy vegetables, and nuts to help your body to get sufficient micronutrients. And remember, homemade food is always the best option to keep you safe and healthy. So, eat homely, stay healthy, be happy.